Changes to Student Membership Start in July 2017
APA is making entry into the association easier and more affordable for students and new planners.
Starting in July 2017, APA student membership will be free for any individual who is enrolled as a full- or part-time degree-seeking student in any college or university program.
Membership will be free for the duration of an individual's studies.
“Free” includes national, chapter, and AICP membership, as well as membership in up to five APA divisions. Student members will be eligible for two years of reduced dues after ending their studies.
The current membership structure and prices will be in effect through June 2017. We will communicate with individuals who currently are in the Early Career Membership Program (i.e., who joined as a student member within the last five years) to ensure a smooth transition into the new framework.
We will share more information about these membership changes in Spring 2017. Stay tuned!
Contact APA staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 312-431-9100 if you have questions.
Jump-start Your Planning Career
With low-cost — or possibly free — membership and lots of benefits, the American Planning Association is where you belong!
Why Join APA?
As a student member, you get all this:
Did we mention your first year could be free? See "Who Can Be an APA Student Member?"
Five Ways for Students to Get the Most Out of APA Membership
Wondering what APA can offer you? Read our blog to learn how one recent planning school graduate got the most out of her student membership.
More on Membership Benefits
Any full-time student who has not been an APA member before.
Conditions met? Here's how to join:
- If you attend a planning program that is a full member of the Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning, your program administrator can sign you up during one of two annual enrollment periods. Find out if your program participates here. The first year is free!
- If you attend any other program and you are under 35, you may join online or by PDF. The first year is $50.
After You Join
Once you have joined APA as a verified full-time student member, you will be a participant in the Early Career Membership Program. You will be eligible for five full years of membership in the program, even if you are no longer a full-time student.
- At the end of Years 1-4, APA will ask you to renew your participation in the Early Career Membership Program. Membership dues are discounted.
- At the end of Year 5, APA will automatically change your membership category and ask you to renew as a regular member, regardless of your student or employment status. Your dues will be determined according to APA's salary-based dues structure.
|Membership Year||National Dues||Chapter Dues||Total Dues|
|1||Free or $40||Free or $10||Free or $50|
Not a Student?
APA membership is open to everyone who is committed to applying the benefits of planning to create communities of lasting value.
- Learn more if you're a planning or zoning board member or commissioner or an elected or appointed official
- Learn more if you're a practicing planner or a student that doesn't meet the eligibility requirements above
- Learn more if you live outside the United States
- Learn more if you're an educator
- Learn more if you work in an affiliated profession or you are an interested nonplanner