Advance the Planning Practice — and Your Career
APA invites academic departments that are full members of the Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning to participate in a group membership program designed for planning educators.
Stay connected to practices and policies that shape planning through publications, events, and programs. Planning schools can offer this important opportunity to senior faculty at an afforadable price.
- Free JAPA subscription. APA academic members get a bonus benefit: a free subscription to the digital edition of the Journal of the American Planning Association — the planning profession’s journal of record since 1935 — and online access to the complete JAPA archives. JAPA publishes original, double-blind, peer-reviewed research, along with commentaries and book reviews, covering a range of social, environmental, economic, and policy issues.
- Access and save on other publications. All members receive Planning magazine, Interact, and the APA blog — your best sources for news on contemporary planning practices. Members also enjoy discounts on resources through the APA Store.
- Get AICP certified. Demonstrate your aptitude of and commitment to the highest level of planning practice by earning the certification by APA's professional institute, the American Institute of Certified Planners. Academic members receive a $150 discount on registration for the AICP Comprehensive Planning Exam.
- Connect with specialists. Members may join one or more of APA’s 21 divisions — communities of professionals who share your interests—at a discounted rate. Divisions offer online education and forums, publications, and specialized sessions at the annual National Planning Conference, as well as contribute to national policy work.
- Connect locally. Join one of 47 chapters — the local source for networking and professional development — and conveniently connect with the area planning community through the chapter’s annual conference, education and advocacy programs, and public information campaigns.
How Academic Membership Works
Participating schools are required to enroll all faculty members with the rank of assistant professor or above who devote at least half their time to the planning program. Schools may enroll certain other faculty as well. Schools pay an annual participation fee and APA national and chapter dues — both set significantly below regular member dues — for each individual member. Schools may choose to pay AICP dues, also at a reduced rate, for faculty who belong to the American Institute of Certified Planners. The academic membership year is Oct. 1-Sept. 30.
Not an Educator?
APA membership is open to everyone who is committed to applying the benefits of planning to create communities of lasting value.
- Learn more if you’re a planning or zoning board member or commissioner, or an elected or appointed official
- Learn more if you’re a practicing planner
- Learn more if you live outside the United States
- Learn more if you’re a full-time student
- Learn more if your institution is not affiliated with ACSP, if you work in an affiliated profession, or you are an interested nonplanner